Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: SBD Dauntless

General
    Impressive work as usual Witold. Simply amazing details. Could you use sculpting and normal map in Blender to get the reinforced grooves on the inner cowling rather than modeling?
    Jeff (Dayton, Ohio)
    My Works - The Aerodrome - https://theaerodrome.shutterfly.com/

Regular
    kevjon, TuFun, Skyrider3D, Mark06GT, pzzsf7f - thank you!
    It seems that every winter I am extremely busy with my "daily project",
    so I will be back at Dauntless this spring. I wish I make this aircraft faster, but on the other hand, such a huge timespan creates some space for new ideas, how to make certain detail better, or in a more time-efficent way .

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    (..)Building a new computer since my old one is 10yrs old. Since I'm retired now so I can play around with Blender.
    Great! Feel free to ask me (on he PM, for example), when you get stuck somewhere in Blender . (It may happen at the beginnng).

Quote Originally Posted by pzzs7f View Post
    (...) Could you use sculpting and normal map in Blender to get the reinforced grooves on the inner cowling rather than modeling?
    Yes, you are right! What's more, I think that you can do it even quicker, using for the first approximation the Texture Deform modifier. Sugested workflow:
    1. Make a simple bump map of the grooves, and map it onto the part.
    2. Increase the mesh density (by increasing the subdivision level in the subdivison surface modifier)
    3. Use the texture in the Texture Deform modifier - it forms the grooves in the mesh geometry.
    4. Then you can then apply these modifiers, and sculpt little corrections where they are needed.
    5. Then bake a normal map from this model, and use for in the basic, medium-poly versions.

However, there is a bug in the material that I composed for this model, which causes a certain artifacts on some surfaces when I use a normal map. That's why I cannot (at least at this moment) use the normal maps here - only the bump maps...
    Last edited by wjaworski; 02-10-2019 at 1:48 PM.

Thread Information