Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blender vs The Other Guys

I've never seen a tutorial on that before, but I started using that same technique for panels on my P-38. It really is a great way to maintain smooth surfaces and reduce pinching. Now my workflow for aircraft is to start with a very simple base mesh and maintain that as kind of a mold for all the detailing that happens later. It lets me cut out panels and add details while still maintaining the smooth lines of the underlying template.

The only thing I would add to the tutorial is that it is sometimes handy to extend the edges of the base mesh beyond the edges of the final mesh. That way you can also play with the edges of the panels without distorting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark06GT View Post

The only thing I would add to the tutorial is that it is sometimes handy to extend the edges of the base mesh beyond the edges of the final mesh. That way you can also play with the edges of the panels without distorting them.
    In the same author's full 40 hour tutorial on modelling the Jeep Wrangler, he does just that.
    I've learned a lot about modelling in blender with this tutorial, it was great investment in training material.

General
    Yeah, I just watched this the other day. Another tool to add to the bag of modeling tricks. Thanks for posting it.

Regarding the 40-hour series. Was that a free or pay tutorial? If pay, what was the cost? Looks like it could be a good investment.
    Jeff (Dayton, Ohio)
    My Works - The Aerodrome - https://theaerodrome.shutterfly.com/

General
    After looking around, I found it. Only $35, that's a great deal.
    Jeff (Dayton, Ohio)
    My Works - The Aerodrome - https://theaerodrome.shutterfly.com/

After playing around with all the shading nodes in cycles I realised just how much knowledge you have to have to create decent looking materials in blender. As a relative newcomer much of it is over my head and I constantly have to refer to tutorials to achieve things.

In the forthcoming 2.79 blender release we will get the Principled BSDF shader which should have most of the sliders you will need to create any material (much like other 3d applications). You'll also be able to bring in your PBR materials you might of created in other applications and they should render the same. So really looking forward to the release version of it. Andrew Price goes into its features here.

https://youtu.be/4H5W6C_Mbck

Blender's really come out with some nice upgrades over the last year. The filmic add-on, adaptive subdivisions and now the Principled shader are all fantastic.

I'm not at all sorry I moved from Maya to Blender.

Thread Information