Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blender vs The Other Guys

Assassinator of Spammers cobra6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevjon View Post
    You're not wrong, it just works differently in blender. Blender doesn't have smoothing groups as far as I can tell. You have to manually mark the seams (edges) between each smoothing group and then use a edge split modifier.

I think blenders method is too much work compared to autosmooth in Max, but I guess once you get used to how it works you just deal with it while modelling without even thinking its good or bad, its just the way it is.
    Sounds similar to OpenSubDiv where you crease edges with a value.

Cobra 6

Quote Originally Posted by Mark06GT View Post
    I'm glad it worked.

I asked about the order because the order of modifiers can make a difference in the final output since they are executed from top to bottom. I use both the subdivision and edge loop modifiers, but I generally do not APPLY them - particularly the edge loop. I don't apply the subdivision surface because it keeps my poly count down. I don't apply the edge loop because it actually breaks the object into individual parts along the sharp edges. When I do use the edge loop modifier, I always use the SHARP EDGES ONLY check box just to make sure that somewhere later on in the project I don't accidentally sharpen edges that I really don't want sharp.
    Mark, thanks for that, yep this seams the best way to work with blender and its edge split modifier.

This looks like a interesting addon to detail all sorts of Military Meshes.

https://youtu.be/45_mvLG-0x8

Pretty neat stuff (but it might not be as straight forward as the demo shows.. very often it's not )
    wouldn't it be great to have a similar philosophy for linkings/animations..

I had not seen that before. Definitely worth looking into. Thanks for posting.

General
    Very interesting indeed. I've used a similar product called "Hard-OPS". Hard-OPS is a great tool for modeling spacecraft crates and things like helmets. But I found it difficult to use for modeling aircraft panels and such. Not sure if this works the same or not, but looks like it could have an application for aircraft modeling. If anyone tries it out, please let us know how it works.
    Jeff (Dayton, Ohio)
    My Works - The Aerodrome - https://theaerodrome.shutterfly.com/

Jeff, there are more videos posted on youtube since my post above which highlights more of its features.

It looks like you model the individual details, bake them out to normal maps (which are reusable) and they are applied as decals to the model. The final rendered image is impressive.

It'll be interesting to see how people might utilise this piece of tech in their work.
    Last edited by kevjon; 04-25-2017 at 11:19 AM.

General
    Here's an interesting video on an great alternate way to do panel lines as part of the model using basic Blender modifiers. This does not require modeling separate panels. It uses the base geometry and modifiers (non-destructive).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzlRNjsJS6g
    Jeff (Dayton, Ohio)
    My Works - The Aerodrome - https://theaerodrome.shutterfly.com/

That's really cool way to do it, thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that technique before.

This is such a cool way to approach modelling in blender to avoid all the lump, bumps and pinches associated with subdivision modelling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rlMzsBWtPY

Create the low poly base mesh & give it a high level of subdivision and use it as a guide mesh.
    Then copy it & apply a shrinkwrap modifier & then add your detail to the copied mesh.

Thread Information