Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: RCAF Fleet 16 "Finch"

Assassinator of Spammers cobra6's Avatar
    Sure:

I should add a few more edges to the aileron as currently it will stretch the UV's.

Cobra 6

Thanks. All very neat, simple and tidy.

I definitely need to reduce the amount of edge loops I put in along wing tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark06GT View Post
    Thanks. All very neat, simple and tidy.

I definitely need to reduce the amount of edge loops I put in along wing tips.
    Yep, the more I do of this 3D stuff the more I realize that simple is good, keep the mesh as straightforward as possible, just enough to get the desired effect.

Assassinator of Spammers cobra6's Avatar
    Well to be honest, even in that wingtip I could easily reduce the number of edges more and space them out more consistently

But indeed Neil, simple is sort of the thing to aim for, however a better aim would be "efficient" which is simple yet is also technically correct. For your own work it might not make a massive difference but if you do 3D as a job your meshes need to be efficient as well.
    To come back on the first sentence of my post, if I'd modelled this at work I would have spent a bit more time to clean up the wingtip as well.

Efficient is also making sure that, as much as possible, your polys across a mesh are roughly the same size, which makes smoothing more balanced and also prevents UV stretching. Obviously this not always possible but most of the time you just need to add a few extra edges that might not be technically needed but will help to smooth out the flow.

Cobra 6

Thanks Cobra. Insights always welcome. I've no doubt I'll be back into 3D before too long. Hopefully getting steadily better thanks to you and others on here's help.

Thread Information