Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Pearl Harbour Project

Welcome to MilMesh!
    Having modelled just part of the USS Arizona recently, I appreciate the amount of work that goes into these, even if your models are relatively low-poly.
    Here's a useful link, but I suspect you know it: http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/
    Aviation Art & Photography
    www.AviationArt.aero

...also for custom prints and t-shirts
    Or find me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by theschell View Post
    My modelling is all done in Hexagon then UV mapped in UV Mapper Pro. I paint the texture maps in Photo Impressions 4 using a combination of hand painting, and texture samples generated with Filter Forge. I rig the figures using DAZ Studio's Figure Set-up Tools for DAZ and Poser use. All of my personal artworks are rendered in DAZ Studio.

The smoke was done as sets of over-lapping 2d planes with textures, trans-maps, and bump maps applied. The explosions were a 3d modeled prop with textures, trans-maps, and bumps (this effects prop was also used to get the underwater effect of the explosion at the bow of Arizona). I used a 2d plane prop with similar maps to get the torpedo tracks...

That's a significant amount of work. Just doing one battleship is a big project. Doing most of the US Pacific Fleet is way more than I would ever attempt. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyraider3D View Post
    Welcome to MilMesh!
    Having modelled just part of the USS Arizona recently, I appreciate the amount of work that goes into these, even if your models are relatively low-poly.
    Here's a useful link, but I suspect you know it: http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/
    Thanks for the welcome!

Yeppers... I was aware of that... used it among other sources like Haze and Grey, Nav Source, and Maritime Quest to search down photo's to use for reference during my builds...
    Schell’s Armour Work's, home of “Theschell’s” Fantasy, Sci-fi and Historical models for Poser and Daz. www.schells.ca

It's a labour of love, but yes it's a huge amount of work even for relatively low poly resources...
    Schell’s Armour Work's, home of “Theschell’s” Fantasy, Sci-fi and Historical models for Poser and Daz. www.schells.ca

fleetproblem-xix_full.jpg

Another image using a few of my ship models from this project, this depicts Fleet Problem XIX.

This operation in April and May 1938 gave the Navy added experience in search tactics; in the use of Submarines, Destroyers, and Aircraft in scouting and attack, and in the dispositions of the fleet and the conduct of a major fleet battle. In addition, the exercise again dealt with the matter of seizing advanced fleet bases and defending them against minor opposition. Fleet Problem XIX also tested the capabilities of the Hawaiian Defense Force, augmenting it with fleet units to help to defend the islands against the United States fleet as a whole. The last phase of the exercise engaged the fleet in simulated operations against a defended coastline.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyraider3D View Post
    Welcome to MilMesh!
    I don't want to hijack this thread - but what are you modeling and why? (or is it a secret?)

I don't know if you're looking for critiques or not, but I think your environment (sky & water) detract from the quality of your ships. If you had better ocean and sky, the images would look much much better.

(If you don't want this type of comment - just say so - I never know who wants critiques and who doesn't. I always appreciate it when people make suggestions about my posts.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark06GT View Post
    I don't know if you're looking for critiques or not, but I think your environment (sky & water) detract from the quality of your ships. If you had better ocean and sky, the images would look much much better.

(If you don't want this type of comment - just say so - I never know who wants critiques and who doesn't. I always appreciate it when people make suggestions about my posts.)
    Thanks for the feed-back and I'm good with critiques I'll take it into consideration for my future render attempts.

As for what I'm actually currently modelling in this project, I've been working on modelling USS Crane Ship #1 (Ex-Kearsarge BB-5) which was used as a lift crane for heavy lifts during repairs to, and construction of, Battleships and other large military vessels It was used to lift turrets, gun tubes, and heavy plate during refits etc. There were ships like her stationed in the dock-yards during, and brought in to Pearl Harbour after, the attacks to aid in refloating and repairing the fleet. I haven't posted any images of it as yet as she's still just in the very early stages of construction (I'm still modelling the sub-assemblies I'll need when I begin the main build).

Last edited by theschell; 09-13-2016 at 9:07 PM.

Conscript
    Great work! One point - in 1941, the Gato class subs had no light AA, only a
    deck gun. The "sails"/conning towers were reworked later to add the platforms for
    20mm AA.

Thread Information