Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CV-8 Hornet

Starting to spot B-25s for the long journey to Tokyo. (Positions sourced from newsreel footage)

Last edited by Klavs81; 05-15-2017 at 8:00 PM.

You know, a careful light smoke column playing in the breeze as it's rising from the stacks.. that's all it would take to make this shot become 'alive'

Excellent work there.

Now I need to go watch 30 seconds over Tokyo again.

General
    Looks great! I envy you being able to spend some time with Col. Cole. I had a chance to briefly meet him a few years back along with Sgt Thatcher (deceased, Engineer Gunner plane 7, # 40-2261) and a couple veterans from the Hornet. By briefly I mean shake hands and thank them for their service. But it was quite an honor none the less. Good Luck with your project! Very interested in the final images.
    Jeff (Dayton, Ohio)
    My Works - The Aerodrome - https://theaerodrome.shutterfly.com/

Nice work, but I don't like the hull shape. Especially the bow section is not really accurate. From distance it's OK, but from close view, one sees the inaccurate shape. I know. Hull shapes are not easy to make. But I would give the model a new chance.

Assassinator of Spammers cobra6's Avatar
    I can already see this one has very impressive potential and the work so far has been very slick! Welcome to the header!

Cobra 6

Good show, congratulations

Attachment 4165Wow! Thanks guys! Still more progress, the bow shape has been reworked significantly, thanks for the input everyone! Working through some sketches for the final piece. Just need to add crew and a few more details now.

That's really header work Klavs, looks just great. I'm very impressed by your water textures especially.
    Looking at the line up there, it must have been a scary experience for the first planes to take off from no runway at all..

Quote Originally Posted by Nils View Post
    That's really header work Klavs, looks just great. I'm very impressed by your water textures especially.
    Looking at the line up there, it must have been a scary experience for the first planes to take off from no runway at all..
    Thanks Nils! This is actually their 'en route' stacking. For launch they crammed everybody waaaaay back on the flight deck, with only inches to spare. Doolittle (the first plane) had something like 467ft for his takeoff run (just abeam the back half of the island) with a 20 knot wind, as well as the carrier probably doing another 18-20 knots on top of that. He actually got off about 100 feet BEFORE the end of the deck, as newsreels show.

I'll probably wind up doing 3 pieces: one just like this, one where the aircraft are taking off showing the 'compressed' stacking, and one from the deck hand's point of view!

Eventually I'd like to take this on as an animation. But that's for the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Klavs81; 05-23-2017 at 4:05 AM.

Thread Information