Thread: N1K2-J Shiden Kai

N1K2-J Shiden Kai

I've posted some WIPS of this in the aviation hanger, but here's my finished Shiden Kai. It was modelled for a book artwork later this year, but though I'd share some renders of the final model here on Milmesh.
    For a bit extra drama I added a little vignette for the mode, the idea behind it being our Shiden Kai pilot is making a zero feet escape from marauding USN fighters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Assassinator of Spammers cobra6's Avatar
    That is actually really damn interesting, love how you managed to get the motion-blur to work on the water in the static frame, very interesting and I've not seen that before.
    Are the splashes post or 3d?

Ps: Getting a "500 – Internal Server Error" on your website, might want to check that out

Cobra 6

Cheers mate, splashes are just a Photoshop job. Yeah, my website is down just now. Hoping to get a new one up and running at some point this year.

Looks really nice!
    Dave

Nice to see some new digital work from you again! Looks really nice!

Japanese WWII aircraft make great subjects and I'm always amazed just how many designs they had.

Yours looks pretty awesome Gareth.
    You've packed a lot of nice details into the bump map, it looks great !

Great to see some new work of yours, Gareth! The Shiden-Kai is an awesome bird and you really captured the power of this beast in your action diorama.

One thing you didn't capture quite right though is the canopy. The whole thing looks strangely pyramidal in shape. Both windshield and sides should be steeper. Perhaps an FFD box could improve the looks, though I guess it will make the canopy framing look odd. Have a look here to see what I mean: http://www.ww2wrecks.com/portfolio/s...7%91%E7%BE%A9/

If you have time, I really think it's worth remodelling. Various Japanese books on this type have excellent technical drawings of the canopy area (Aero Detail 26, page 65 and IJN Interceptor Fighters, page 167). Unfortunately I don't have a scanner at the moment, but perhaps someone else can help out? Failing that I could try to photograph them?
    Last edited by Skyraider3D; 03-08-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Aviation Art & Photography
    www.AviationArt.aero

...also for custom prints and t-shirts
    Or find me on Facebook

Veteran
    Oh man! I just commented on your WIP! This is way better!! I love the simple backgrounds too...I've struggled to come up with a good bg image for my craft, and this really works and shows off the plane.

By pure coincidence I bumped into a scan of that canopy on an eBay auction! I hope it helps
    s-l1600.jpg
    Aviation Art & Photography
    www.AviationArt.aero

...also for custom prints and t-shirts
    Or find me on Facebook

Thread Information