Thread: A completely different Mustang...

A completely different Mustang...

Attached is a profile I made for Warbird Digest - a rather unusual Mustang! It's A-36A 42-83738 as it looked in the late 1960s while owned by Sidney Smith, complete with custom sliding canopy and P-51D-style belly scoop. Currently this machine flies with the Collings Foundation as "Baby Carmen".

N4607V_FB.jpg
    Aviation Art & Photography
    www.AviationArt.aero

...also for custom prints and t-shirts
    Or find me on Facebook

NB. This profile was created entirely in 2D as there was little point using my P-51D 3D model as a starting point. The "Invader" and more famous bubble-top Mustangs have surprisingly little commonality! To ensure accuracy I made extensive use of engineering drawing, technical manuals and photographs. The former made for a rather challenging puzzle, as can be seen below! Note the difference in belly scoop design.

scoops.jpg
    www.AviationArt.aero

Or find me on Facebook

Assassinator of Spammers cobra6's Avatar
    That is indeed quite the difference! It's cool though to see it with the drawings like that, great material for a large print I'd say!

Cobra 6

Thanks Joep!
    www.AviationArt.aero

Or find me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Skyraider3D View Post
    NB. This profile was created entirely in 2D as there was little point using my P-51D 3D model as a starting point. The "Invader" and more famous bubble-top Mustangs have surprisingly little commonality! To ensure accuracy I made extensive use of engineering drawing, technical manuals and photographs. The former made for a rather challenging puzzle, as can be seen below! Note the difference in belly scoop design.
    Looks great Skyraider both the 3D and 2D.

I think when most of us see a 2D profile or 3D model of an aircraft we don't really appreciated how much time and research goes into creating it.

Thanks Kevin!

Besides the research of each subject's colour scheme, it was indeed quite a lot of work finding the right drawings in the first place. I used about two dozen drawings out of a set of 17,000(!) and then stitched them together using station data from technical manuals as a frame work. Each drawing itself had to be stitched together first as it often consisted of multiple microfilm exposures as the drawings were usually too large to be photographed in one go. And each exposure suffers from unique non-uniform scaling as the process of archiving them on microfilm was done using basic handheld photography! I don't envy the guy having to do that job.
    www.AviationArt.aero

Or find me on Facebook

I suppose even if the original drawings were scanned rather than microfilmed and then scanned there would of been scaling errors as the original paper would of shrunk or distorted slightly. At least it wouldn't be so many bits and pieces.

Absolutely true. And last but not least, the engineering plans don't tell the whole story so there is always the element of matching against photos and correcting where things aren't lining up.
    Each illustration is partly detective work, I find!
    www.AviationArt.aero

Or find me on Facebook

Thread Information