Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sopwith Camel... we'll see how this goes...

Veteran
    Tail has been framed in, and rudder/elevator are rigged...

Nice JM.

Its amazing how they managed to make these aircraft so delicately framed and still strong enough to throw the aircraft around in combat and subject it to lots of G's.

Veteran
    Thanks!

I was watching one of the many "this fighter vs that fighter" videos last night... Camel v Fokker Triplane... and they talked about the difference in construction and design, and how while the DR was a more advanced design, it was actually a poorer design overall, and that while it had a tougher frame, and better maneuverability, it did so at the cost of visibility, speed, and maintainability. It also brought up the point that if the Red Baron hadn't promoted it so much, Germany might have had more fighter with better design balances, which could have had a potentially drastic effect on the air war.

The consensus that the video came to was that while the Camel had some tactical weaknesses (shedding the upper wing in a dive, comes to mind and much slower climb rate), it was probably the best design balance, baring later advanced designs, such as the SE5/SPAD/DR7/DR8...

Veteran
    Tail has been rigged and control lines and structural wires have been run...

Really looking nice. Where did you get your plans?

Veteran
    Thanks! Starting the wings next...

Concerning the plans I'm working from, it is a mix of large scale RC and museum-quality plastic model plans and a lot of reference photos... its not helped either, by the fact that none of them agree completely on structural framing, or level of detail, and a lot of the photos out there of "unskinned" restorations, have difference as well, so its very much finding the most common design between the plans, with enough detail that I can begin to replicate it...

Great progress!
    Aviation Art & Photography
    www.AviationArt.aero

...also for custom prints and t-shirts
    Or find me on Facebook

Veteran
    Thanks!

Well the wings have been framed in, and the upper aelirons have been rigged... lower set is next, and then the wing bracing...

Veteran
    Internal structure... DONE
    Structural rigging... DONE

Next is to run the control cables for the aelirons, and some small tweaks, and then to start skinning...

Veteran
    The skin is done, now I just have to stress it....

Thread Information