Thread: Spitfire Mk.V

Spitfire Mk.V

Hi!
    I try to texture model in Substance Painter. Renders in modo.
    01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg

Looks really great Tomek. Contrary to my email, the colours and the weathering are coming nicely as a render. Well done!

Cheers
    Hendrik

Great looking model and textures.

My comments on the textures would be
    - the red tape over the gun ports on the wings looks semi transparent.
    - the paint chipping effects look a bit soft edged and don't look aluminium (they look white/grey)

Did you also do the bump map in SP or did you do it in a 2d paint program and import it ?
    The panel line detail and rivets is very fine (which is a good thing). Do you have high res texture maps 8k or higher to achieve that ?

The result you have achieved is really inspiring, thanks for posting.

Thank you Hendrik and Kevjon.

Kevjon: There is Normal maps in SP but I prepared bumps in photoshop according to panels and rivets lines. I used SP for colors, weathering, chipping, dirt and roughness maps. I had to add some specular maps in modo before render. I'm working on 4K maps because there is a lot of UDIMs islands (9).

Assassinator of Spammers cobra6's Avatar
    Looking solid for sure!

Don't forget though that Substance is procedural and you can always see the textures are just that, don't get me wrong they look great and substance is a killer piece of software, but it's all procedural.
    I can advise you to always do some hand painted details and things as well to break this procedural look.

Cobra 6

Cobra,
    Some things are procedural, some not. Even when you use proc. chipping or dirt you have to change it manually. You can use only proc. in very easy shapes, low-poly games meshes. But when you are working on complex meshes as complicated 3D model you must help yourself with photoshop or just painting in Substance.
    All in all you are right you can't mechanically create an interesting project. Let's put love in our projects!

Assassinator of Spammers cobra6's Avatar
    Indeed!

Cobra 6

Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster View Post

Kevjon: There is Normal maps in SP but I prepared bumps in photoshop according to panels and rivets lines. I used SP for colors, weathering, chipping, dirt and roughness maps. I had to add some specular maps in modo before render. I'm working on 4K maps because there is a lot of UDIMs islands (9).
    Thanks SC, with 9x 4k maps explains how you got so much nice fine detail into the model. Great result !

I'm also finding it best to do traditional 2d bump maps and import them into SP, but just wanted to check if you had different method that I did not know about. Its a little limiting that SP doesn't have the ability to use reference images for painting panel lines, rivets and camouflage patterns off 2d profiles/plans of the aircraft but hopefully that will get addressed in future releases.

Kevjon: All I need is panels and rivets maps. I make it in photoshop according to drawings of aircraft. I import those maps to Substance and this is my guide for the rest of the maps. I create camo patern in painter using graphic tablet, not a mouse. It's easier. I save created colors (for example RAF Ocean Grey) as Smart Material with dirt and roughness. After that I'm adding chipping, weathering and dirt on other layers. I'm using generator and then I have to fix it manually. It is the workflow. Lot of the SP option are taken from photoshop. One thing: saving the file takes half of a minute when you use 9 UDIMs with 4K resolution. Even if you are have very strong computer.

Thread Information