2021 European Airlines book covers

Show us your finished 3D work.
Skyraider3D
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

2021 European Airlines book covers

Post by Skyraider3D »

Last year I made a couple of book cover for Rob Mulder's publishing company, European Airlines.

The first was a Finnish Curtiss Hawk 75 for this book: https://www.europeanairlines.no/product ... rivatives/

It shows Finnish ace Paul Salminen of LeLv 32 shooting down a 524 IAP Polikarpov I-16, while flying Hawk 75 A-6 CU-558, on 5 September 1942.
Hawk75A-6_cover_web900.png

The second cover shows a Fairey Fox VI for this book: https://www.europeanairlines.no/product/fairey-fox/

I've titled the artwork "Courage Alone". It shows 24-year old Sous-Lieutenant Aviateur Albert Brel of 5/III/2 in Fairey Fox VI "O-111" engaging the Luftwaffe's 3./JG 21 on the morning of 10 May 1940. Oblt. Georg Schneider, flying "Yellow 1", has just fired his 20 mm cannon against Brel's antiquated biplane, while Fw. Erwin Leykauf in "Yellow 3" maneuvers to line up for the next shot. With his wingmen having disappeared, Brel fought a valiant but hopeless 3-versus-1 battle against a far superior enemy. Soon enough Brel would be forced to bail out of his burning fighter. Unfortunately his parachute caught fire and Brel fell to his death in the small town of Montenaken, leaving behind his wife and 1-month old son.
Courage_Alone_web900.png

The 3D models for both covers were made by Fabricio Sousa, although the Fox was incomplete at the time I needed it, and I spent a good amount of time changing and finishing it. Textures were done using Substance Painter, which is now my go-to app for UDIM texturing. The Bf 109 model was adapted from Anders Lejczak's old '109, with revised mesh and all new UVs and textures.
www. A V I A T I O N A R T .aero
Please find my latest works on Facebook!
Nils
Regular

Re: 2021 European Airlines book covers

Post by Nils »

Very nice.
I just got my copy of the Fairey Fox book last week. A book to recommend for those interested.
Both covers are beautiful, but I think I like the cover for the Curtiss Hawk, best.
A little fun fact, some of the Hawks given to Finland by Germany, were brand new norwegian fighters. They were captured on the docks in Bergen, still in their crates. They could really had made a difference during the german occupation. The most modern planes we had by the time, were antiquated Gladiators and some Caprioni bombers, that never really stood a chance against the 109’s, tho they managed to down som Ju52’s and score some hits on the fighters, but was hardly noticeable by the occupants.
The Hawks were taken to France and given metric instruments, before handed over to Finland.
Tango Mike
Soldier

Post by Tango Mike »

OMG Those are stunning and beautiful!
This was reposted to preserve the valuable information for this community.
kevjon
Soldier
Primary Application: Blender

Post by kevjon »

Both are very nice pieces of aviation art for aircraft that you don't often see depicted.

They would both look great on a cover of a book.
cobra6
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cobra6 »

Like the sense of vertigo in the second one quite a lot, nice covers!:)

Cobra 6