New Forum Software

Read the latest news and info that your Military-Meshes staff has to offer.
Aceman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Primary Application: Blender

New Forum Software

Post by Aceman »

Wow - I'll bet for most of you, you don't even know who I am, as I'm not around much. But yes, I'm the owner of military-meshes.com which started back in the mid-2000s. Which is sort of why we are here today. You see the software that ran for forums on MM was vbulletin, a very old version of vbulletin that costs a lot of money.

The software is so out dated that as servers get updated the software can no longer operation in the updated operational environment. In our case, MM simply can't operate correctly with PHP 7.4, it needs 7.1 - and for a few hours yesterday I tried to degrade the server to address this issue. I was able to get the right version of PHP on the server, but it simply didn't help, and I can't access the legacy software from vbulletin any longer.

So I have made the call to move off of vbulletin and to PHPBB, which was just updated a few months ago and is highly regarded as a great forum software platform. I've spent a few hours today testing the software and learning how I can make it work for the needs of this community. I still have hours of work ahead of me as I attempt to restore some key features that are needed for a creative community, like thread thumbnails, etc. So please bare with me. I am also attempting to migrate users over from vbulletin but that's kinda iffy at the moment. More as I get deeper into this afternoon.

Thanks for your patience and interest.
Chris - AKA Aceman on this site.