Vought SB2U Vindicator

If it flies, store it in the aviation hangar.
denders
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Primary Application: modo

Re: Vought SB2U Vindicator

Post by denders »

Okay, that sounds good. :) I found it interesting that the droop was 10 degrees but the aileron range extension was 12 degrees.

Dave
SDS130
Primary Application: Other

Post by SDS130 »

Did you check Avialogs? Wonderful manual there, contains many Vought Engineering drawings:
https://www.avialogs.com/aircraft-v/vou ... vindicator

The question of how the aileron travel adjustment got my attention, so I checked Avialogs. System uses a hydraulic cylinder but I haven't quite resolved how it works, appears to change the travel stops at the control stick.
Ref drawings 41475, p 62, and 45295 p110 in the above manual.

PS Welcome back Mil-Meshes! I need to post an update of my models.
denders
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by denders »

Thanks, that is where the above drawing came from.
Dave
kevjon
Soldier
Primary Application: Blender

Post by kevjon »

Nice update Dave, its taking shape.

I particularly like the subtle fabric effect you have got going there on the underside of the wings, it looks very effective.
Nils
Regular

Post by Nils »

Looks good Dave, any plans with it?
denders
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by denders »

Thanks, Nils. Probably something of a Midway scenario.

I've acquired a 3D printer and been experimenting with 1/32 model parts. Slowly working on making a 1/32 "Dave". The Vindicator might make a good choice next.
Dave
Nils
Regular

Post by Nils »

Very nice.. would love to see it as a physical model!
denders
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by denders »

Well, the 1/48 kit won as far as 1st or 2nd.

I've been working on the landing gear but a lot of computer time was spent in Terragen trying to figure out how to add ocean swells to the scenes created for the E8N 'Dave'. So far not really successful to the degree that I would like from about 7000'. There are a bunch of tutorials about using nodes to work my way through so perhaps the Vindicator LG will get some time.
Dave
kevjon
Soldier
Primary Application: Blender

Post by kevjon »

Nice work on the model Dave it looks really good. The weathering you've done really brings it to life.

Is the weathering done with an enamel or oil paint wash that is wiped off with rag ?

I read about the technique in one of Verlinden's modelling books and tried it on one or two models.
denders
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by denders »

Thanks, Kev. Yes. The model is painted with lacquer (MRP), including the national markings. The national markings were done with masks cut with a Silhouette Cameo cutter. (The 2s and painted over tail stripes are decals.) Then an acrylic gloss clear, Tamiya in this case. Then enamels, mostly Panel Line Wash from Mig. The dirt on the wheels and on the lower wing behind the wheels is made with pigments. After I took the photos I realized that I forgot some exhaust residue and liquids staining. Those are pigments for the exhaust staining and enamels the liquids. I've used cotton buds, knit cloth, and eye shadow brushes to wipe off the excess enamels. Also, sometimes I use a brush dampened with mineral spirits.

I've been working on the LG for the 3D Vindicator and contemplating how I'm going to rig it to easily raise and lower the gear. I want to control it with a channel haul like I've done with the flying surfaces, etc. The LG were sturdy enough that it was used as the dive brakes. I'll have to spend some time watching the Rich Hurrey Modo rigging tutorials again.
Dave