WIP B-29

If it flies, store it in the aviation hangar.
Nils
Regular

Re: WIP B-29

Post by Nils »

Kevin, I checked the profile and you were right, it was off. It was right according to my Wylam drawings, but not when I checked against an image of Fifi. Corrected now.. Thanks for pointing it out :)

Corrected fin

denders
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Primary Application: modo

Post by denders »

Nils, I have to agree with Kev. From memory, it should look very similar to the shape of the fin of a B-17.
Dave
Aceman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Primary Application: Blender

Post by Aceman »

I live near the National Air and Space Museum near Dulles Virginia. The Enola Gay is there and this was the first plan I thought of when I saw your renders. https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/enola-gay

Not sure if your looking for reference materials but I thought I would share https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-o ... 9500100000

Great job!
kevjon
Soldier

Post by kevjon »

Looks much better Nils, glad my comment was useful to your project.

I have a couple of Wylam books and so far haven't used any of the drawings. Looks like I'll have to beware. I do like the look of his drawings though, very detailed.
Nils
Regular

Post by Nils »

That’s why I used them without hesitation rurns out nothing is perfect. I guess those drawings from that era never were made for modelling but rather as illustrations. Dave’s comment that pointed me against the B-17 fin made perfectly sense tho. Thank you all. My first meeting with a B-29 was an airfix kit I got as kid, for the 40th BS/ 45th BG Eddie Allen. That’s the plane I will go for now as well..
Thanks Chris for your links 👍
Nils
Regular

Post by Nils »

Here's the 'Eddie Allen' first texturing attempts (named in memory of Boeings late test pilot Edvard 'Eddie' Allen, who was killed in an accident with one of the XB-29 prototypes)

kevjon
Soldier

Post by kevjon »

It's a big aircraft, looks good Nils

I think it would be good to get your exhausts looking a more heat rust color and the machine guns more like gunmetal.
The aluminum finish looks really good but maybe needs a bit of variation in shading for some panels.
Skyraider3D
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Skyraider3D »

Very cool subject Nils, but I can tell from the shape of the vertical tail that you used Wylam's ancient and rather poor drawings as your initial reference, unfortunately - supposedly drawn inaccurate on purpose: https://www.modelairplanenews.com/willi ... ne-4-2015/
Please check here, you'll find much better materials: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/thread ... del.29241/
I see you made corrections since and it looks much better now.
www. A V I A T I O N A R T .aero
Please find my latest works on Facebook!
Nils
Regular

Post by Nils »

I’m still on the wip state on texturing. That the Wylam drawing from ‘44 were intentional wrong, makes sense as the war was still very actual. But I have hopefully learned a lesson and not lean on one source only.
Thanks for the links Ronnie, I have already found the same link to that thread .. after the Wylan incident 😁
Nils
Regular

Post by Nils »

Tonight's update on the textures, which are slowly coming along the way I want them..
still a few items to add and then there's the animation of the control surfaces, radiator flaps etc ..